Doug and Norvene have been leading retreats and workshops together and individually since the mid-1980’s.
Originally based principally in the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles, we continue to lead spiritual journeys, both interior and on pilgrimage, throughout the United States and Europe. Our topics are generally those of Christian spirituality, focusing on experience of God in ordinary life. Our approach is interactive, blending presentation, discussion, and opportunity for personal integration of material. We find that our strengths and weaknesses are mutually supportive: male and female, clergy and lay, spontaneous and systematic, people-centered and idea-loving. Topics are ordinarily determined mutually by the sponsor and the Vests at the time the retreat is scheduled. Sample topics include those mentioned here.
- Streams of Christian Spirituality: Christian tradition’s many prayer ways
- Benedictine Spirituality for the Common Life: Benedictine spirituality’s foundational tips for life in the world
- Praying the Scripture: Faith sharing through lectio divina in small groups
- Finding and Telling Your Sacred Story: As modeled in Scripture, finding God’s presence in personal and group life
- Holy Wisdom Today: The classic figure of wisdom offering new images of God
- Women’s Ways of Spiritual Unfolding: Alternatives to the traditional image of spiritual life as journey in the desert
- Affirmative Modes of Spirituality: Image and word as mystical openings to God
- Becoming Peace-Makers: Transforming practice of personal and communal non-violence
- Why Stress Keeps Returning: A Spiritual Response: A sense of “something missing” may be gift and invitation
- A New Culture of Christianity: Re-visioning Christianity through imagination, feminist values, and the philosophy of Paul Ricoeur